Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Moe's vs. Chipotle



VS



Let the battle for Brown Street begin.

There is a new player in town attempting to take down the juggernaut that is Chipotle. It was only last week that I realized we were getting a Moe's

Although Chipotle has a special place in my heart with their cilantro rice, their super fast service, their $5.25 chicken burritos and their ridiculously high employee turnover I went against my better judgment and decided to try Moe's anyway.

I, however, did not go it alone. I brought a few close friends with me who are equally biased toward Chipotle. As you navigate Moe's menu you notice that they have strange names for everything. My choice? The Joey Bag of Donuts (see comparable Chipotle's Chicken burrito).

Below is my scientific rating scale developed through qualitative and quantitative methods and extensive research:

Scale - 1 to 5 (1 being the worst and 5 being the best)

The Service:
Chipotle - 5
Moe's - 3

Moe's was slower and was not as busy. I give them a get out of jail free card because it was their first week. Perfection like Chipotle's assembly line takes time.

The Food:
Chipotle - 5
Moe's - 4

Although it was different, both were equally delicious. Moe's food did come with complimentary chips, which is a huge bonus. Also Moe's had a few more options than Chipotle. That being said, Chipotle's meat was better tasting and their burritos really are bigger.

The Value:
Chipotle - 4
Moe's - 5
Moe's gives you free chips and a complimentary salsa bar. Their burritos are only a few cents more and you get all of the extras.

The Overall experience:
Chipotle - 5
Moe's - 4.9

I had to let Chipotle win this due to my bias toward tin corrugated sheeting affixed with screws and bolts.

The Winner:
Chipotle with 19 out of 20 points
Moe's - 16.9 points

It was close, and I was scared that my test might betray a restaurant that has been so good to me, but it was worth it. Whew...I need a burrito!

4 comments:

bre said...

Although Moe's seems to have a better value, I was quite annoyed with the extra charge for sour cream. I understand the guac charge, but sour cream seems a little excessive.
One other annoyance: the menu names that you mentioned made it very difficult to order in my opinion.
Moe's won't ever be Chipotle, but they sure are trying!

David Bowman said...

Chipotle's popularity may be Moe's greatest asset. I can not tell you how many times I have headed to Brown street in hopes of getting a burrito at Chipotle, only to encounter a line out the door. Sadly, I used to have to settle for Panera. BORING. Now I will likely stroll down to Moe's, or maybe just go there first, to avoid the huge crowd at Chipotle. As they say "Speed Kills." That goes double at lunch. Chipotle would do well to add more of those cool seats and efficient workers. As for the burrito's. I have not eaten at this one, but did dine at one in South Carolina several years ago. Very comparable to Chipotle. No crowd, I will hit Chipotle. Crowd, I'll see you at Moe's - unless you are still in line at Chipotle.

Anonymous said...

I don't normally comment on blogs, but I feel like I had to chime in. I lived in a city with Chipotle (Denver) for a long time. Then, for some crazy reason, I moved to a city with only Moe's. (Charleston, SC)

Moe's doesn't even come close in the food quality. Perhaps they have different standards because they are not having to compete with Chipotle, but everything from the meet to the cheap cheese they use is WAY lower quality.

One thing that I particularly like about Chipotle is that the quality is consistent. I have eaten at Chipotle in Chapel Hill, NC, Charlotte, Tampa, St. Pete, Denver, C. Springs, Greensboro, Atlanta and a few other places and the quality is consistent.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be down... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at 20somethingsalesrep.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Alex